Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a Government-sponsored program launched on 1 June 2015 to promote sustainable and affordable housing for the urban poor. It is a Loan-Based Subsidy Scheme (CLSS), which means that the PMAY scheme’s beneficiaries are eligible for interest if they apply for a loan to buy or build a new home.
The objective of Prime Minister Awas Yojana
Land prices are constantly rising in India, which has greatly reduced payments. This is especially true of people who live in big cities. Therefore, to promote and encourage sustainable and affordable housing, the Government of India introduced the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna or PMAY in June 2015.Know more about PMAY eligibility.
Also known as ‘Houses for All by 2022’, this credit-linked financing program (CLSS) aims to build more than 2 Indian crore houses in certain sectors of the economy. People who get a loan to buy a house or land or build a home will be able to get interest on the said loan. However, interest-bearing loans are only available to people in the Economic Sector Group (EWS), Lower Income Group (LIG) or Medium Benefit Group (MIG).
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Eligibility Terms
Before applying for this program, however, a person should consider whether he or she is eligible for funding. The following factors determine the suitability of the PM Awas Yojana.
- Depending on the size of the individual’s salary, he or she would fall into the EWS, LIG or MIG categories. However, if the annual family income exceeds the income of the MIG group, which is Rs. 18 Lakh per year, they would be unfit to receive benefits under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
- The woman’s name should be on the title deed or in the deeds. It can be the sole ownership, where the woman owns the house, or it can be joint ownership, in which one of the owners must be the woman to use the system. Only when there are no women in the family can this law be passed.
- PMAY is only available for new purchases. Also, the applicant must not have any other pucca properties when applying for a credit-linked system.
- Beneficiaries should not have received any central aid or benefits from any other housing program in the past from the state or central government to make this program work.
- The house or property to be purchased must be in one of the areas, cities, towns or cities in terms of Census C 2011.
- Beneficiaries should not have received benefits under Pradhan Mantri or any other credit-related funding scheme from any financial institutions before.
- If the main reason for obtaining a home loan is the renewal or expansion of an existing property, that function must be completed within 36 months of receiving the first instalment of the loan.
How do you apply for a PMAY Scheme?
Following the steps outlined below should help people get support for their home loans under the housing program. The method listed below is an online process.
- Step 1: Visit the official government website PMAY.
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Citizen Assessment’ option under the ‘Menu’ tab.
- Step 3: The applicant must enter his Aadhaar number.
- Step 4: With the successful submission of the Aadhaar number, you will be redirected to the application page.
- Step 5: The applicant must continue to include all relevant information on this page, including income details, personal details, bank account details and other required information.
- Step 6: Applicants must check all information before submission.
- Step 7: As soon as one clicks on the ‘save’ option, you will receive a unique request number.
- Step 8: Applicants must, in turn, submit the completed application form.
- Step 9: Finally, one can submit the form to the nearest CSC office or financial centre that provides PMAY. He must also submit all the required documents and the form.
Alternatively, people can choose the offline application process and go to an authorized bank branch to apply for the program if they find the internet process incorrect.
PMAY as a plan has been seen to reduce the financial burden on low-income people who wish to buy a home. The subsidy offered can help people with small mortgage repayments and significantly reduce their debt. The online process and a long list of banks registered under PMAY, which offers home equity loans, have continued to simplify the process and make it easier for people to access the benefits of the program.